Pages

Wednesday 28 December 2016

The Force Will Be With You Always


"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."...
With the untimely passing of Carrie Fisher yesterday, never has this quote been more relevant. Its context is also relevant given that Princess Leia was witness to the destruction of her home planet Alderan. As the tributes grow and are added to by both fans and friends alike, I turn to my own personal memories. I am of an age where Return Of The Jedi was seen at the cinema in the first week of release. Like all die hard Star Wars fans I had grown up with the toys, the films and I will never forget the moment I met Darth Vader in Tescos. Return Of The Jedi was, is an amazing film and not just because Carrie grabbed my teen aged boy attention with "that outfit". I know I am not alone in those feelings but legs, I mean lets, not forget that Jedi also features the massive reveal that Leia is Luke's sister. The tender scenes with both Luke and Han Solo are still powerful and delivered so effortlessly by Fisher. 

Fisher portrayed Leia as a strong and powerful woman able to look after herself and her insults flung at Governor Tarkin are enjoyable on every occasion. I mean, as if anyone could actually leash Lord Vader. Carrie was also a firm favourite at the Star Wars conventions and her dry wit and time for fans will never ever be forgotten. Her status as an icon of the screen and of the Star Wars universe will never dim and, as more films are added to the canon, new fans will discover why this is such a sad moment. Farewell sweet Princess and "the force will be with you always"

Carrie Fisher October 21st 1956- December 27th 2016


 


No comments:

Post a Comment