Pages

Saturday 2 July 2016

In Memory- Caroline Aherne


Caroline Aherne passed away on Saturday 2nd July 2016 having battled lung cancer since 2014. 2016 is only half way through and is the worst in my memory for the loss of astounding talent...


I first noticed Caroline Aherne when she performed in The Fast Show and was amazed at her comic timing and her quick wit, she made me laugh. When she went on to star in her own chat show as the wonderfully cutting Mrs Merton, she made me laugh even more. Who can forget her memorable question to Paul Daniels and Debbie McGee, "so, what attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?" Aherne was clever in that she was able to beautifully send up and ridicule her guests but in such a gentle way that they didn't mind, well most of them didn't. She was intelligent and funny but also had a warm and engaging side. I liked her, I liked her a lot.

Aherne had her problems and fought very public battles with depression and alcoholism, I think that's the problem when you become successful. All of your personal challenges and low points become the focus of scrutiny and Aherne managed to fight her way through this as well. Alcoholism is not a dignified illness and for every photo the gutter press published of Aherne the more my admiration of her grew. Caroline Aherne's co writing, starring and later on directing of the classic comedy series The Royale Family is perhaps what she will be more well known and remembered for. Her portrayal of wonderfully ditsy Denise Royal ,again, showcased the sheer level of Aherne's talent and catapulted her to even higher success. The Royale Family ran for three series and enjoyed further one off specials. It was written as a hugely humorous but also, at times, incredibly moving sit com that was blessed with incredible character driven performances from Aherne and her co stars.

If this article seems somewhat disjointed and downbeat it's because that's how I feel. I am tired of having to write tribute pieces for talented and wonderful people that are taken far too soon from this world. I liked Caroline Aherne, she made me laugh!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment