Pages

Saturday 27 February 2016

In Memory - Leonard Nimoy

Leonard Nimoy
My memories of the iconic figure that was Leonard Nimoy and vows he will live long and prosper in our hearts and memories...

This is the news that every Star Trek and Mission Impossible fan never, ever wanted to hear. Leonard Nimoy has died. Typing this now and I still can't believe it, no, I don't want to believe it. The word devastated is used far too much today and attached to lesser news that really does not warrant its usage. Today, and with this news, it just doesn't seem enough. I have been a Star Trek fan for most of my life and Spock burnt himself into my memory with a vibrant brightness that just dazzled. You will read over the next hours countless articles recounting Nimoy's career yet I want to share my own personal feelings and memories. I urge you all to do the same we would love to read them.

Spock, the man with almost infallible logic and ears of such pointyness they almost seemed to have a life of their own. Nimoy played Spock as a character always at war with his half human side yet this gave him a wonderfully warm side to his Vulcan impassiveness. I joined Spock in his many adventures and the many, many times is problem solving abilities save the Enterprise crew from certain death. I marvelled, wide eyed with childish wonder, as Kirk's emotional and passionate was set as an amazing counterpoint to Spock's character. It really was a beautiful and intense friendship that developed between them and, as the original. TV series, progressed it was Spock that I tuned into watch each week. For me, and I'm guessing countless other fans, Nimoy's ability to portray such an emotionless character with so much emotion was truly one of the best onscreen performances ever. 

I could write so much more about Spock's character development and of Nimoy's wonderful performance in the Star Trek films he starred in but words are becoming difficult to form. I want to finish the saddest article I have ever had to write with these words from Captain James T Kirk.

"We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honoured dead. And yet it should be noted that in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

Leonard Nimoy, thank you for the memories you have gifted me and thank you for allowing me to go on your great Star Trek. I will never forget you.


Leonard Nimoy - 26th March 1931- 27th February 2015



1 comment:

  1. Shame he never got to snog Uhuru. Awesome Spocking though.

    ReplyDelete